Tuesday, February 7, 2012

So Far...

It occurred to me that I hadn't spent much time writing my experiences in the south so far. Maybe no one else cares, but I think I might like to remember what caught me by surprise, and things that have brought a smile.

1) People wave here. I mean, strangers, driving by while your standing in your front yard, will smile and wave. Amazing, and I love it! Our friends list (IRL, locally) isn't long - in fact, we haven't met any pals in our age category, but the waving at strangers makes it feel a little less lonely.

2) Politeness isn't always prevalent. We've been cut off in line at the grocery store a few times, and treated less than awesome at a few other places. Me expecting absolute politeness in all situations has made this my own fault, and I shouldn't act as offended as I do when someone isn't as kind as I think they should be. I'll get over it soon enough. Maybe.

3) Neighbors. They exist everywhere, but they all interact and know one another here. A simple short walk is typically extended significantly by stopping to chat with Miss Ann about her lovely flowers, or Betty and Cloris about the boys blue eyes and knitting. Everyone is so friendly and wonderful in this neck of the woods. extended

4) There are some regional things here that I had not yet encountered, but thoroughly enjoyed. Among them are Palmetto cheese, Krystals, Hardees, Bojangles, and Dickeys. So bad for me, yet so delicious!

5) J and I have found a Thai place here that we love called Thaijing. I love that the restaurants here are all so awesome, and will be excited to find some authentic and yummy Mexican food.

Anyway, I'm sure there are a million other things I could write, but this is a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment