Wednesday, December 7, 2011


Last night, after we finished watching the Michael Bublé Christmas Special on NBC, Josh and I finally got into the garage. It was cold. I wasn't wearing shoes (only socks), and by the end of the evening (we stopped around 10pm) I couldn't feel my toes! But, it was all worth it because we really got a lot accomplished. The garage is now divided into 3 sections - our "donate" pile, our "bulk trash" pile, and then about 1/3 of the garage is boxes and bins stacked up that we plan on bringing with us. Josh is going to go through those boxes for the next couple of days to see if there is any further weeding we can do, but it won't be much more. Most of these boxes contained our decorations and knick knacks, cd's & dvd's, books, and other keepsakes, and I fully intend on bringing them out to play as soon as we settle into our own place again.

We made a decision on the paperwork that will make it possible for us to only bring 1 container of it on our journey - which will fit nicely into the one filing cabinet we have decided to keep (but Josh is not keen on the idea of using the filing cabinet to actually store our "keep" paperwork, so they will be traveling separately ;)).

One of the unfortunate side-effects of the great garage clean up is the amount of laundry we found that we want to keep. Josh would pick up a sock, and I was screaming purge, purge, purge, while he blinked his big baby blues at me and pointed out that "hey, maybe you didn't notice, but these are argyle dress socks... these can't have been cheap." Maybe he forgot that I bought the mountain of men's dress argyle socks when I was still working at L'eggs/Hanes/Bali/Playtex at the Arizona Mills Outlet Mall, and I got them all for about 99.9% off. But, he totally played me like a violin, because he knows me, and he knows my weakness for argyle. I love argyle. I still regret not spending $90.00 on the cashmere argyle cardigan I spotted while waiting in the insanely long line at Kohl's on Black Friday.

Anyway - even though we got a lot done last night, I now have a lot more to do, involving a mountain of socks that need to be laundered (along with some crib sheets we found that had been missing).

Basically, we have now reached the "heart in throat" stage. I have 5 days left of work after today, we move out of our home completely in 9 days, and we'll be starting our journey about this time 10 days from now. I've managed to get all the logistics of the move taken care of (including making shipping arrangements for Finley), and once we go through the closets, purge the unnecessary from our kitchen, and pack our suitcases, we'll be ready to go. Somewhere in between the madness I should also consider cleaning the house. It is all so exciting and terrifying at the same time!