Friday, May 11, 2012

All the colors...

Last night, as Mikey was falling asleep, we had one of those moments that I will always remember and cherish. I almost didn't hear it, he said it so quietly. I asked him to repeat himself, and he said, louder "Mom, Keshawn is brown, and I am white."

Pause.

Pause...

C'mon people, I was hoping my kid would remain forever colorblind, but apparently, someone at daycare let the cat out of the bag.

I probably took way too long to respond, but I finally got out an excited, "I know, bug, isn't it cool??!?!" His response..."...yeah." I continue to ramble, "All the colors are so awesome, and people come in every color, too, and every color is special." Mikey's response..."...yeah, but..." I continue on explaining how freaking great it is that his classroom is like a box of crayons, and really try to bring it home that all the colors are important and wonderful, when he finally interrupts me and says "Can I be brown, too?"

Uhhhmmm... Jeesh. I don't even know how to answer that one. I mumbled something about being happy being himself, and avoided that whole "If I paint you brown, someone might not be happy" conversation, because Mikey loves Keshawn, and has a story about him every day on our way home from school. He just wants to relate to him, I think, but he is 3, and there are too many rules in this world for a 3 year old that just wants to be like his buddy at daycare.

But then I remember the day before that Mikey was telling me how he was going to get the "Mikey Spots" (his own version of Johnny's plague) and they were green square spots. I just might cave and give him his own painted on plague. Hopefully I won't be insulting anyone or breaking any taboos.

I really need to read up on the random stuff that is going to come out of my 3 year old's mouth so I know how to respond in advance!

{my sweetest beast, Mikey Bear, who could honestly mark "transparent" down as his skin color on a survey with a straight face}

No comments:

Post a Comment