Sunday, March 11, 2012

About a Job...

I'm not sure if we have any good luck left to use on wishes for me specifically, but if we do...

I applied for a job at the end of February, and got called in for an interview 2 days later. At the time, it seemed like the worst possible moment to squeeze in an interview. I had appointments to get our cable set up at the house, Josh was at work, and we had family coming in from out of town to visit, and I wasn't sure how I could possibly squeeze everything in.

But then it all came together, and for some reason I wasn't nervous, and the interview went so friggin' fantastic I couldn't believe it. I can't say that I've ever had a better interview. I felt completely at ease, and by the end of it I was so confident that I had nailed it, and that the job was in the bag, that I really found myself at a loss when I hadn't heard anything from the hiring manager a week later.

Now I find myself waffling between writing the job off as a loss, and coming up with excuses for why they haven't called to offer the job to me yet. I guess in a perfect world J and I could afford to keep me at home to raise the boys for at least a few more years, but that just isn't in the cards right now, I don't think anyway. Then this interview happened, and I went from ambivalence to really really really wanting this job, like right now. By Friday I was biting my nails and pacing in the kitchen. Any time my phone plinked, I jumped to grab it, and felt complete frustration when it was 1 of 1 million junk emails I get a day. I finally broke down and left a voice mail for the hiring manager Friday morning. And then my cell phone crapped out on me and wouldn't power on. AGHHHHH.

By the afternoon I decided I had better email the manager and the other manager I interviewed with to let them know that not only was I still interested, and hoping to hear from them soon, but my cell phone had gone haywire and I was available by email, and hopefully again soon by phone. On the bright side, I figured out a workaround involving an app called "no-lock" for my phone. On the downside, neither the hiring manager or the other manager called or emailed me. I know it has only been a week. I know I like immediate results. But they seemed to like me so much, and I took it as a great sign when they asked for my opinion on a co-workers retirement party, assuring me that I needn't worry that I didn't like shrimp, for they would also serve beef tenderloin. Am I actually going to get to go to this retirement party?

Is it ridiculous to lose hope after 1 week? Do I start applying for jobs again in the mean time? I guess that is the only rational thing to do. Dang. Everything was just clicking along so nicely, I assumed this was one more click waiting to happen!

Here's to hoping that my next blog post is one about my rad new job...

Hoping, hoping, hoping...

Please call me!