Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thoughts on Providing...

Mikey's winter clothes have arrived. I am filled with an immense sense of satisfaction at being able to provide clothing to my children. Growing up, most of my clothing was second hand, and my mother had to fight in order to purchase anything "new" for us. The majority of my father's disposable income went to Budweiser, Kool cigarettes, new computers and computer peripherals, and of course, extremely expensive telescope equipment. That didn't leave a lot for silly rubbish like department store clothing. In elementary school it was unbearable. Later on, in high school, when shopping at thrift stores became fashionable and my friends took up the practice with me, it was less painful. But still, I spent more student loan money on new clothing than I care to admit my freshman year of college. It wasn't even terribly exceptional clothing. I worked at Arizona Mills, an enormous indoor outlet mall, and my closet was quickly filled with "slightly imperfect" clothing from Aeropostale, GAP and Rue 21.

Silly.

And still, I find the ability to provide my children with "enough" to be something that constantly weighs on my mind. I didn't have much growing up, but on the other hand, I don't want to provide an overabundance to the point where my guys don't understand or appreciate how hard we work to provide for them.

None of the above has any point, just something that has been on my mind...


Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it


No comments:

Post a Comment