Friday, March 27, 2009

The Picture of Health...

In the spirit of my New Years Resolution (being a good role model to my children) I have recently started thinking a lot about what it means to be healthy, exactly. The only thing I know for certain is that I most certainly am NOT healthy. However - in my pursuit of various weightloss plans over the years, I've completely lost all grip on the reality of what it actually means to be healthy.

For starters - I know organic fruits, vegetables and meats are ideal. But this whole organic thing makes me suspicous. Just because something is marked as organic, does that mean it really is? How do I know some innovative farmer isn't just stamping his regular ol' produce with little "organic" stickers? And how far do I need to carry this whole organic thing? Organic sheets... pillows... paint... carpet?

Of course, besides the obvious fruits, vegetables and meat, what other healthy super foods should I be bringing into the house? I've read posts now over at Becoming Mom and Girl Gone Child about this crazy grain called Quinoa (Keen-wa). Supposedly all chock full of fiber and even good for making baby cereal. It is only by chance that I learned of this miracle grain. What else am I missing out on?

And then what about supplements? I'm so lost. Right now the husband and I are both taking Fish Oil, Calcium, Magnesium and a general Multi Vitamin. Am I missing out on anything else essential in the supplement world? Or am I over doing it, and taking too many things?

Lastly, we have the final piece of the puzzle - exercise. I actually know a little bit about this, but then of course there is always conflicting information in this realm. Like running - I would love to just put on my sneakers and run... but isn't that bad for my knees?

*sigh*

Anyway - you are going to be hearing a lot more from me on this whole weight loss and healthy living thing. I'm striving to improve my life in this area, and trying to learn as much as possible about what it means to live a healthy lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment