Friday, January 16, 2009

Life's Not A Race...

No truer words could be spoken. Nick Hexum is a genius.

From 2w4d


I know that in a very short amount of weeks, my little dude is going to be a completely different baby. He'll have a better digestive system, will cry less, and will be on a more reasonable sleeping schedule. He won't be sleeping in our room anymore.

From 2w4d


For now, he's a little fussy, a little gassy, and can't very well vocalize what he wants or needs from us. He is sleeping less, thus providing more time for him to cry. I actually found myself in tears today, so frazzled at my inability to soothe my child. I think sometimes that newborns must have growing pains that no amount of snuggling and swaddling can make better. Again - I know that this period will be brief, gone in a flash, and when Mikey is no longer a baby I will long again for a helpless infant.

From 2w4d


So, with that in mind, I'm going to do my best not to wish these days would fast forward themselves. I'm trying to cherish every moment, each diaper, the full bottle thrown up all over me, and the bed, and the baby. Although they seem hard right now, I know I'm going to miss these first early weeks I'm getting to spend with this amazing gift.

From 2w4d

5 comments:

  1. Hi. My name is Heidi and I live in a suburb of Chicago. I found your blog site a couple of months ago when I was searching something about pregnancy in Google. I actually had my baby, also named Michael, two days before you on the 27th. I've been following your blog ever since I found it. You make me laugh (the funniest blog was with the stretch mark cream), and I love your honesty. Please know that there are other people going through the same exact thing you are right now. I'm one of them! It's amazing how much I've found in common with you. Your political views, your goals as a mom, and also just as a woman. My husband and I follow Dave Ramsey as well (I can share a few things about that), and ever since I've had my little guy, I've wanted to redecorate (or just further decorate) my house too. I am on my second child, but some of the thoughts and emotions you have written down I felt with my first child. Now that I've been through it, it's a little easier to swallow with my second one because I know "this too shall pass"--i.e. they don't stay gassy forever. Thank God!

    I would love to chat with you more. Please feel free to email me at heidi.slove@gmail.com if you want someone to talk to. We can share stories about maternity leave and crying randomly out of exhaustion and feeling overwhelmed with our poor little crying guys. :)

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a really good outlook on the situation. It's hard to remember that during the screaming fits though. You're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best piece of advice I have read since having my baby is "It's only temporary." Know that all the bad stuff is just a phase that will go away, and enjoy the good stuff as much as you can because that too is just a phase.

    If you want some help I am here for you- even if you want to be able to sleep through the night sometime. :)

    **HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi - Thanks! It doesn't ever occur to me that I have anonymous readers :) Thank you for coming out of lurking status, and glad to know that someone else out there is going through similar things at the same time. Do you have a blog by chance?

    Vicki - The crying fits wouldn't be so easy to deal with if he wasn't so darn adorable. When he gets really upset he starts snorting. How can I not love him to pieces when he is snorting and snuffling?

    Liz - Again, as always, thank you! It is so good to have experienced Mommy types to turn to with questions. I'm so glad I wasn't the "first" of our crew to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Heidi again. No blog, but I am up on Facebook. Are you?

    ReplyDelete