Saturday, August 9, 2008

20 Weeks...

You've got a heavyweight in your belly now (well, in baby terms, anyway). Your little champ weighs about ten ounces and has a height, crown to rump, of about six and a half inches. Think small cantaloupe (and probably as sweet too).

Is it a boy cantaloupe or a girl cantaloupe? You'll be able to find out your baby's gender via the ultrasound by this point. If you're carrying a girl fetus, her uterus is fully formed this week and her vaginal canal is starting its development (which means that in about twenty-five or thirty-some-odd years, she could be just where you're at, Grandma!). She also has primitive eggs in her tiny little ovaries now, seven million of them — though by the time she's born, that number will be down to two million (still more than she could ever hope to use). And interestingly, your baby girl will be born with all the eggs she'll ever have.

Have you got male? If your fetus is a boy, his testicles have begun their descent this week, though they're still located in the abdomen, waiting for the scrotum to finish growing so they'll have a place to drop into in a few weeks.

Though the external genitals in both male and female fetuses still have a way to grow, you should be able to find out the sex of your baby (if you want to) during an ultrasound exam.

****************************************************

Holy Excitement :) Half-way cooked! And I'm making pretty good progress on the registry, too. Friends are even chipping in now. My pal Liz invited me over to pick through all the "extra's" she got after organizing the nursery in her new house. December seems to be just around the corner!!

Oh, and sorry about the whole food thing. I actually did, with the exception of one night, stick to my recipe plan for the week. Bangers n' mash were a hit! The pineapple rum chicken was a disaster. The meatloaf was awesome! No pictures because I am lame and lost my camera (which ended up being in my purse - it had fallen in a rip in the seam of the fabric).

I got on the scale this morning and I'm up 10 pounds total for the pregnancy. Not so bad - but I've got 20 more weeks to go, so I'm going to try and keep it reasonable :)

Happy weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Half way--good job so far Mommy!After asking my husband ('cause I just don't remember anymore) we think that I gained around 20 pounds.

    Are you going to post your menu for next week? What happened with the pineapple rum chicken? That sounds so yummy. Or yummo as Rachel would put it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki,

    20 pounds is an impressive number now-a-days. It seems like everyone I know has gained 50 pounds or so - which just seems crazy! I think 25 is a lot to gain, lol.

    I will not be posting my menu this week because Husband will be out of town on business, so it's going to be me and a lot of sandwiches :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...
    Was in Texas the weekend before last, then had company half of last week...so I'm way behind on my reading and blogging and commenting.

    You're half-way there? Wow, this is going by so fast. For me, at least. Maybe not for you, though. CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete